Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

♥ Paleo and Cross Fit

Although I have several posts comin' atcha, in the works, I wanted to share a little tid bit of what's been going on in my brain.

So, I am on my third week of cross-fit/boot camp training with Coach Katy at Move Austin Outdoor Fitness and I'm loving it! I was really looking to change up my work-out routine and she's definitely challenged me, not to mention the biggest challenge of all; waking up at 6am! It hasn't been too bad, in fact, quite rewarding! I'll share more about some of these workouts soon.

These morning classes have really got me thinking about my personal goals as far as my physical self and mental self and even my dietary goals. Since I have been introduced to these Cross-Fit style workouts, I have also been introduced to what is known as the Paleo Diet.

Now, I don't know much, but I'm learning more and more. And it is starting to sound like quite the challenge... a challenge I'm willing to take. So far, I know the Paleo Diet is short for Paleolithic, which means you basically eat like a caveman. Think: hunter-gatherer. No gluten. No dairy.

I'm always up for a challenge... but maaaayyyybe I'll start after ACL Festival :)
(^^That's a shameless plug of my personal ACL picks. Have a look if you're interested)

Anyway, after my boyfriend cooked up some AMAZING portabello mushrooms last night, I was scouring for more portabello recipes. This Portabello Caprese Tower salad comes from the Austin foodie blog called ATX Gluten Free. Chef Jess's gluten-free recipes have really got me thinking that I might be able to let go of my long term relationship with bread. (Oh how I love thee!) If you are looking for some healthy and tasty alternatives to every day meals (pasta, pizza, you name it!) Check out her blog!

Although this recipe doesn't follow the Paleo Diet. It looks very VERY tasty and still quite healthy! I think I will give it a try this week. As for my attempt at the Paleo Diet, you will have to wait and see!


ATX Gluten Free: Chef Jess' Portabello Caprese Towers
Serves 2
Approximate time: 15 minutes

  • 2 Portabello mushrooms
  • 1 small ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 4 thick slices
  • 1 tomato from the vine, sliced into 4 thick slices
  • 12 fresh basil leaves
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Balsamic vinegar
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300
  2. Pull out the stem of the Portabello mushroom. Place upside down in casserole dish and drizzle olive oil over top. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over mushroom. Bake until warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
  3. Slice tomatoes and mozzarella into thick slices.
  4. Place Portabello mushroom upside down on serving dish. Layer starting with one tomato slice, 1 mozzarella slice, 2 basil leaves, repeat once more and top with fresh basil. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over top of tower. Sprinkle salt, to taste.

Enjoy,
♥ Mellie



No comments: